Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Countdown

For silly personal reasons, I just published the previous post I'd written 2 months ago. We now have a closing date of September 29th on both the new house and our current house. We leave for a week-long trip to Brazil on September 30th to attend a friend's wedding. All of this is good news, yet overwhelming. When we were negotiating on the new house in June, October was nearly out of sight. Now it's quickly approaching and we're still in town. As it turns out, we were required to sell our current home before closing on the new place. Our current home sold after only a week on the market, but the seller chose the end of September to close. Fortunately, we have already become the sole caretakers of the new property so are able to be moved in before closing. So it will go: move to the new house, pack the bags, attend the closing, sleep, drive, fly. Upon returning from Brazil, we'll settle into our new life. Still on my to-do list is selling my low-speed, low-range electric (almost) car in hopes of purchasing a ten year old Prius with high mileage for super cheap. Still on the back of my mind is the compromise this property represents. It's not my off-grid straw bale home. It's not even the location of my off-grid straw bale home. It makes me question whether I need an off-grid straw bale home. Am I settling for something convenient in lieu of something in alignment with my values? If I settle now, will I pursue later? How much energy physically and financially should I put into a place that I'm not sure I'll keep indefinitely? If I pour too much into this place, will it hamper my ability to move on and create something uniquely mine in accordance with my beliefs? Can this place become exactly that?

Luckily, none of those questions need answers today. Or this year. Or next year.

And there will be goats. There will be goats in October.

And there will be gatherings. There will be gatherings of the people I love.

For now, this is enough. My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment