Written June 23, 2015. Posted 2 months later.
We found our place. We haven't closed on the property, but we've signed a contract and put earnest money down. Scraping together the down payment is only possible due to the generosity of our family and friends and my husbands thriving business venture.
I knew this place was a possibility. I hoped it would be everything he conjured from hours spent pouring over the satellite image of the property. It is.
Cons:
close neighbors
paved roads
probably too far for the electric Wheego
expensive, the top of our price range
no building site for off-grid home
Pros:
house just big enough to fit our future family
huge pond (or a small lake if you're generous)
apple and mulberry trees
grass
woods
giant shop
covered swimming pool in need of repair or repurpose
serious wildlife avenue
for sale by owner, an acquaintance turned friend
easy directions from town
I've found myself unable to celebrate until after the closing, an undetermined future date. I can't say it's too good to be true. If it were, it wouldn't be our top dollar. Purchasing the property assures two conditions: poverty and skinny dipping. Fortunately, we've had opportunities to practice both.
The 17 year and the 13 year cicadas are in full force this summer. I haven't communed with them a much as I'd like to, but I've been a busy bee as usual. I rode my first century bike race, a gravel ride I'll never forget. I don't know if I'll do it again, but I'm glad I did. Shortly after we got the call to go see the property and my focus immediately shifted. After singing the contract last week, work began on our current home to get it ready to show and sell. So here we are, sprucing up a home in an effort to abandon it more quickly, making tentative plans for the new place, trying to keep looking forward despite a whirlwind of events.
The heat of summer has arrived. It slows things. My body surrenders effortlessly, but my mind must be reminded to heel, here and now. This house will sell. That house will be bought. We will move. Exactly at the right time.
No comments:
Post a Comment