Rosie the Nanny a Goat and I now have an understanding which allows me to milk her each morning. At first removing the babies at night was heartbreaking, but now the ask for dinner in their separate pen and sleep happily through the night. Although Rosie still decides when I'm done milking, she doesn't rush straight back to her babies like she did at first, but now she heads straight for the brush and grazes for a bit before showing concern for her crying kids. My hands and arms are getting stronger as is my bond with these magnificent creatures. I love thinking about the domestication of goats 10,000 years ago. Who was the first person crazy enough to attempt to milk a goat?
I still might just be getting lucky, but so far, the goats graze everything except my flowers and herbs. They even got through a tiny gap in the pool fence to eat the wild grapevine but left the hibiscus alone! When left to free range, they love to play on the stage deck and take naps there intermittently.
I've been away from them for 2 days now and I miss them dearly. Tomorrow I'll spend time playing, scratching and watching and make up for missed time.
No comments:
Post a Comment